Bolgyne filii Torfyny 1040 x 1057 St A. Lib. 12 [15th c. copy; Bogie of the son of Thorfinn (Bolgyne filii Torfyny) is granted by King Macbethad to the Culdees of Loch Leven]
Bolgin 1070 x 1093 Dunf. Reg: no. 1 [granted by King Malcolm and Queen Margaret to the church of the Holy Trinity, Dunfermline]
Bolgin filii Thorfini 1152 x 1159 : St A. Lib. 43. [20 mela of cheese and one pig being the annual rent from Bogie of the son of Thorfinn (Bolgin filii Thorfini) due to the abbey of St Serf’s, Loch Leven]
Bolgyn 1165 x 1169 St A. Lib. 175 [with its right marches; part of lands of abbey of St Serf’s, Loch Leven]
Bol<g>in 1165 x 1172 SRO GD212/15 p. 42 [Tough (Tulycht) KDT, KGH and Bogie (Bol<g>in) granted to MacDuff by King William, except for king’s forest of Carden ADN, KGH, which see for more details]
Bolgin 1248 St A. Lib. 103–4 [confirmation of Innocent IV to St Andrews, including the priory of the island of Lochleven (Louheleuene) with all its pertinents, the vills (uillas) of Kirkness (Kyrknenes) PTM, of Auchmuir (Admor) KGL, PTM, of Bogie (Bolgin) KDT, and of Auchterderran (Hurhyndemuch) with all their pertinents]
terra de Bolgin 1252 x 1256 Dunf. Reg. no. 601 [Abbot John quitclaims to St Andrews Priory half a merk which Dunfermline used to receive annually from the land of Bogie]
terra de Bolgyn 1252 x 1256 St A. Lib. 178 [as Dunf. Reg. no. 601]
(cain of ) Bolgin’ 1268 St A. Lib. 121 [dated 1248, but it has to be during the episcopate of Bishop Gamelin 1255–71, therefore probably 1268; part of lands of St Serf’s, now the barony of Kirkness PTM]
(cain from) Bolgy 1295 x 1297 St A. Lib. (16 &) 177
? terr<a> de Bolgy 1354 RRS vi no. 132 [mentioned with Cockairney (Cultekarny) and (probably) Dalqueich (Dolcuth’), both Kinross parish KNR in the feudal holding of Kinross (in feodo de Kynross’). RRS vi index identifies Bolgy with Boglily KGH, but it is much more likely to be Bogie KDT, or an unidentified place in KNR]
Bolgy 1397 RMS i app. 2 no. 1760 A [16th c. index; William Barclay, lands of Tulich and Bolgy]
(the land of) Bolgyne 1411 St A. Lib. 19–20 [within the county and deanery of Fife and the parish of Dysart (infra vicecomitatum et decanatum de ffyffe et parochiam de Dysart)]
Bolgy 1451 Dunf. Reg. no. 434
Bogy 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 65 [Estir Touch & Bogy]
Boggy 1556 x 1585 RMS v no. 843 [part of the barony of Kirkcaldy; see KDT, KXY Introduction for more details]
Boggy 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 429
Bogy-Wester 1569 RMS iv no. 1890 [‘with a tower, in the constabulary of Kinghorn’ (cum turre in constabularia de Kingorne)]
Bogy c.1555 Dunf. Reg. p. 465
villam et terras de Wester Bogie 1621 RMS viii no. 173 [see Chapel KDT for more details]
villam de Bogie-Wester 1630 RMS viii no. 1562 [‘with a tower, in the constabulary of Kinghorn (Kinghorne-Eister)’]
(lands of) Eister Bogie 1635 RMS ix no. 571 [with manor etc. ‘in dominio de Kirkcaldie, regalitate de Dunfermeling’]
Bogy 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Bogie 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Bogie 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
West Bogie 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
E Bogie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W Bogie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Bogie House 1828 SGF
East Bogie 1828 SGF
Bogie Mains 1828 SGF
Bogie House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Bogie Mains 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Bogie Parks 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [= SGF East Bogie]
Wester Bogie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G bolg + – in
‘Place of the belly- or bag-shaped hill’ (G bolg ‘bag, sack, belly’). The name shows regular reduction of final –in to –ie/y by the late thirteenth century, with the early fifteenth-century form Bolgyne (St A. Lib. 19–20) quoted from a much earlier document. The name also shows the regular Sc loss of l following a back vowel (o), a process completed by the early sixteenth century.
The hill in question is probably the rounded hill at NT257933, which still sports an early trig. point, despite being now completely surrounded by houses. In fact, most of the lands of Bogie lie under post-war suburban housing development in north-west Kirkcaldy. However, probably because it is a name with unromantic, even unpleasant, connotations in modern Sc and SSE, the area has been named after an adjacent farm, Torbain, and apart from the farm-name Wester Bogie and the associated Wester Bogie Road the name has disappeared from the modern map. This is a pity, because it is, in fact, one of Fife’s earliest recorded names, and designated a very important holding.
The religious establishments at both Loch Leven and Dunfermline had interests in Bogie. King MacBeth (1040–57) gave that part of Bogie which had belonged to the son of Thorfinn to the Culdees of Loch Leven. About 20 years later Margaret and Malcolm gave Bogie (Bolgin) to Dunfermline. MacBeth’s grant, however, was not as generous as it at first sight seemed, or else his successors had limited it somewhat. For by the middle of the twelfth century Loch Leven was due only the cain of Bogie of Thorfinn’s son, that is the food rent that would normally have been paid to the crown. This consisted in the twelfth century of 20 measures (mela) of cheese and one pig per year. And at around the same time (1165 × 1172) King William I granted this same land of Bogie to a man called MacDuff, a member of the kin-group of the earls of Fife (SRO GD212/15 p. 42).
Later evidence helps clarify what appears to be a confusing and conflicting set of grants. It was in fact the land of Wester Bogie which owed a food rent to St Serf’s, Loch Leven, an obligation which fell upon MacDuff and his kin after the royal grant of 1165 × 1172, and which came down to the Barclays when they became lairds of Wester Bogie, probably some time in the fourteenth century. The eastern division of Bogie, which became known as Easter Bogie, was the part which was given by Malcolm III and Margaret to Dunfermline Abbey and its regality, although it would appear that Dunfermline also had some interest in Wester Bogie. It shows us how imprecise the existing written records of these grants were, and how open to misinterpretation, or reinterpretation, by succeeding generations.
The complexity of the tenurial history of Bogie is reflected also in its parochial affiliations, for which see KDT, DSX Introduction above.
Bogie House, marked as such on SGF (1828), OS 6 inch (1856) and older OS maps, but now gone, stood on the lands of Wester Bogie, and supplies the above NGR (NT249929). East Bogie (earlier Easter Bogie) and Bogie Mains, marked as such on SGF (1828), stood close together, at NT262932 and NT263933 respectively. Bogie Mains is also shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn., but SGF East Bogie is shown as Bogie Parks. Both are now under the housing estate of Torbain or Templehall. For Wester Bogie, which still exists, see under that name.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1