Stenton KGL S NT270993 2 90m
vill<a> de Stanton’ 1448 Dunf. Reg. no. 424 (p. 308) [see Ardeny # KGL]
Stentounes 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 443 (Appendix II)
O. Stenton 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
N. Stenton 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Stentoune Ovir et Nathir 1671 Retours (Fife) no. 1100
Stenton 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Little Stenton 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Nether Stenton 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Nether Stenton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Upper Stenton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
East Stenton 1828 SGF
West Stenton 1828 SGF
Stenton 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Nether Stenton 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc stane + Sc toun
This name probably means ‘farm or estate (toun) whose main place of habitation is built of stone’. OS Pathf. Nether Stenton (NO267989) is West Stenton on SGF (1828), while OS Pathf. Over Stenton (NO271994) is East Stenton on SGF (1828). Ainslie/Fife (1775) has Nether Stenton and Upper Stenton respectively. The NGR given here is for OS Pathf. Over Stenton, which appears simply as Stenton on OS 6 inch (1856), and is the more substantial of the two Stentons. Over Stenton may therefore be the site of the eponymous stone building.
Stenton is now the name of a south-eastern suburb of Glenrothes New Town.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1