Balbedie

Balbedie KGL BGY S NT196994 1 384 130m WEF

(tenement of) Balbethy c.1290 x 1296 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 3
vill<a> de Balbethy 1395 NAS GD 27/45/8 fo.2r [= St A. Lib. 2, which has Balbechy; on the hill or rock of the vill of Balbedie lying on the east side of that vill (super montem sive rupem ville de Balbethy et ex parte orientali eiusdem ville jacentem)]
Balbethy 1458 RMS ii no. 638 [to David Boswell of Balmuto KGH part of the barony of Glassmount KGH]
Balbeth 1466 RMS ii no. 894
Balbethy 1493 RMS ii no. 2142
Balbethie 1581 Retours (Fife) no. 1465
Balbedie 1592 RMS v no. 2041
Balbedye 1592 RMS v no. 2041
Balbethie 1616 RMS vii no. 1536
Chabethy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Baalbeddy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Balbedie 1662 RMS xi no. 305 [in the parish of Auchterderran (Auchtirdoun)]
Billbedy 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Balbedie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Malcolm Esq]
Baleadie 1828 SGF

G baile + G beithe + ? - in

‘Birch estate’. Balbedie was in a detached part of BGY until 1891 (see Introduction above). The remains of a seventeenth-century building stand close to the modern farm.

/balˈbidɪ/ or /bəlˈbidɪ/, more recently /balˈbɛdɪ/ etc.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1