Grange KGH S NT269886 1 395 50m NEF
(William Kirkcaldy of) Grange 1514 RMS iii no. 22
Grange 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 1
(lands of) Grange 1541 RMS iii no. 2272
(barony of) Grange 1541 RMS iii no. 2272 [for details see discussion below]
Grange 1593 Retours (Fife) no. 1516
Grenge 1609 Retours (Fife) no. 201 [half the lands of Legsmalee (Egismadye) in the barony of Grange (Grenge)]
Grannge 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Grange 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Grange 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Grange 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Grange 1828 SGF
‘Barn, storage-place for crops; outlying monastic farm’. The name, which appears relatively late in the record, may derive from Vicar’s Grange KGH, which lies on the west side of Grange, beside Seafield, and belonged to the vicarage of Kinghorn (see under Vicar’s Grange KGH below). Alternatively, though less probably, it may derive from the fact that the lands were contiguous with Legsmalee # KGH, ABO, 600 m to the north-west, which belonged to Inchcolm Abbey and was probably referred to as a grange. For the suggestion that Grange may formerly have been known as *Drumdyvane KGH, see under that name above.
The family of Kirkcaldy held half the lands of Tyrie KGH and Seafield KGH in 1440 (RMS ii no. 230). In 1541 the lands of Grange, with its tower, fortalice etc. were incorporated into the barony of Grange in favour of a descendant of that family, the royal treasurer James Kirkcaldy of Grange, along with half the lands of Tyrie (Tyry) KGH with coal workings (carbonariis) etc., the lands of Banchory (Banchrie) KGH, Norther Piteadie # (Northir-Pettedy) KGH, Pitkinnie (Petkynne) KGH and Tirveny # (Turlvany) KGH, Balbairdie (Balberdy) KGH, ‘the castle of Kinghorn with its hill, tofts and crofts’ (castrum de Kingorne cum monte, toftis et croftis) (RMS iii no. 2272).
The remains of the tower at Grange are still visible, in the form of ‘a strong flanking tower or staircase, and a massive fragment of wall attached to the modern house’ (NMRS record number NT28NE 42).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1