Chapel Flat KGH F NT251889 1 395 100m NEF
Chapel Flat 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc chapel + Sc flat
‘Chapel field’. Sc flat, as the word itself suggests, originally referred to a level piece of ground, but this scarcely applies to this hilly field. OS 6 inch 1st edn. shows Site of a Chapel at NT24988895, in the north-west corner of this field. It is noted by the NMRS (NT28NW 19), but there is no description of any physical remains. It was a ploughed field when their inspector visited, with nothing to see.
It probably lay on the lands of Glassmount, the nearest farm to it today being North Glassmount. There is no record of a chapel here, and it may well be that this was not a chapel at all. The field may have been named after a ruined building which someone decided, without any good evidence, was a chapel, but may have been a house or a fank.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1