Balmuto

Balmuto KGH S NT221897 1 395 90m SEF

Balmuta<c>h 1296 x 1339 Durham University, Durham Cathedral Muniments, Misc. Charters no. 363 [transcribed in catalogue Balmutath; = RRS Handlist/Alexander III no. 387 (brief description with no early forms). Inspection and confirmation by Edward Balliol (at Bishop Auckland) of King John’s charter, dated 4 April 1296 at Jedburgh, granting and confirming to William of Silksworth (Silkesworth), his sergeant, for his homage and forinsec service, all the land of Balmuto and its appurtenances, which once belonged to William of Cromarty (Crombathy), in the tenement of Kinghorn (Kingorn)]162
Balmultauch’ 1319 RRS v no. 144
Balmulto 1440 RMS ii no. 217 [David Boswell of Craigencalt (Cragincat), his lands of Balmulto]
Balmulto 1458 RMS ii no. 638
(David Boswell of) Balmowto 1526 RMS iii no. 403
Balmuto 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Balmuto 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Bemutty 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Balmuto 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Cloud Boswell Esquire]
Balmuto 1794 Sasines no. 3855
Balmuto 1828 SGF

G baile + G mult + G - ach

‘Wether/castrated ram-estate’ with an adjectival or locational ending. This word is found also in Auchmuty MAI, meaning ‘wether-ford’. See also Wethers Brae ADN above.

There is a tower of Balmuto, just south of the farm-house. It is a fifteenth-century building, with two sixteenth-century additions, restored in the twentieth century (NMRS). The Sasine of 1794 shows the estate of Balmuto inherited by Claud Boswell as comprising ‘Mournhouse (Mourn House KGH), Lambertsmill and Mill lands thereof, and the little park called the Old Glebe, and three fifth parts of Balbairdie.’

/balˈmjuto/ or /bəlˈmjuto/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1