Windmill Knowe IKG R NT144881 1 394 115m
Windmill Knowe 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc windmill + Sc knowe
‘Windmill knowe or small hill’. Roy (1753) marks Windmill here, north of North Pratis (Prathouse IKG). Thomas Hunter states that there had been a windmill here belonging to Inverkeithing Burgh Council from the fifteenth century, and suggests that from the eighteenth century, if not earlier, it was used to power various processes connected with the extraction of coal (2002a, 25).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1