Pargillis IKG S NT1458423 1 15m
? Begles 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Ball-gilles 1756 RHP3800
Pargilles Farm 1789 RHP274 [farm plan showing exchange of land between Pargilles and Balbougie farms]
Pargillies Farm 1789 RHP274
Pargillis Bridge 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This is almost certainly a personal name, which appears in Lothian as Pargillie in 1585 and as Pargilleis in 1629 in Edinburgh (for details of which see Black 1946, 647 under Pargills). The earliest forms, especially the 1756 form Ball-gilles, are examples of late replacement of an initial unstressed syllable rare in place-names by a much more common place-name element, in this case Bal-, which shares certain phonological features (such as initial labial stop).
The name of a small farm on either side of the road from Hillend to Dunfermline (B916), its exact extent in 1789 is shown on RHP274. This plan also shows the site of the steading, which lay beside the B916 on its east side, and on the north bank of the Keithing Burn beside Pargillis Bridge.
The name survives in OS Pathf. Pargillis Bridge, which carries the B916 over the Keithing Burn, and which supplies the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1