Wellwood DFL S NT090891 2 394 130m
Hawkiesfauld 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Wellwood c.1900 OS 6 inch 2nd edn
The village of Wellwood is named after Andrew Wellwood of Garvock DFL, owner of the lands and minerals, and was built by James Spowart of Venturefair (Venterfair 1828 SGF, Venturefair 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.), which lay to the east of the present village (Henderson 1879). See also Pitcairn 2000, 496.
The Wellwoods were an old-established family in the Dunfermline area, who first appear in the record in the early fifteenth century. While it is probable that the family took its name from a local place-name (Sc walwood, wellwood ‘wood with a well’) it is not known where that place might have been.
On OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856), the small settlement here is called Hawkiesfauld, which gives the NGR above.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1