St Margaret’s Stone

St Margaret’s Stone DFL S NT107848 1 30m

Sanct Margret Stane 1536 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 128 [one of the names of those absent from the court is ‘Johannes Brown pro Sanct Margret Stane’]
Jhone Browne in Sanct Margretis Stayne 1538 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 151 [Scots; John Brown in St Margaret’s Stone]
St Mergarettis Stane 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Sanct-Margaretis-Stane 1563 RMS iv no. 1476 col. 1
the landis of Margaret-Stane 1577 RMS iv no. 2959
S Margratts Stone 1642 Gordon MS Fife
St May 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife [probably an engraver’s reading of Pont’s manuscript, which must have contained an abbreviation of ‘St Margaret’]
S. Margarets Stone 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Stone 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5 [shown north of the above NGR]
Stone 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Stone Farm 1828 SGF [beside St. Margarets Stone, by the main road, referring to the stone itself]

pn St Margaret + Sc stane

The eponymous stone is still visible on the west side of the main road near the farm. It was traditionally thought that St Margaret rested on this stone on her first journey to Dunfermline, as a nineteenth-century inscription on the stone records.

This is one of several places containing the name of Dunfermline’s chief saint. Others are St Margaret’s Burn (for which see St Margaret’s Craig), St Margaret’s Cave (now beneath the Chalmers Street carpark), St Margaret’s Craig q.v., and St Margaret’s Well, for which see Headwell DFL.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1