Pittencreiff

Pittencreiff DFL S NT088874 1 75m

Pethincreff 1291 Dunf. Reg. no. 323 [rubric]
(William of Oberville lord of) Pethyncreff 1291 Dunf. Reg. no. 323
un<a> carbonari<a> in terra mea de Petyncreff 1291 Dunf. Reg. no. 323 [William of Oberville grants to Dunfermline Abbey a coal-heuch or coal-pit in his land of Petyncreff]
terr<e> me<e> de Petyncreff 1291 Dunf. Reg. no. 323 [William of Oberville’s lands of Petyncreff and of Galurig’ (Gallowridge DFL)]
Pettincreif 1466 RMS ii no. 881 [‘terras de Pettincreif, Galowrig et Clune’ (Clune CNK, DFL) confirmed to John Wemys son and heir of Thomas Wemys of Rires (Reras) KCQ]
Pettincrefe 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 86 [David Wemyss died seised in Pittencreiff, Gallowridge(Galrik) DFL and Clune (Clune) CNK, DFL, and his uncle Patrick Wemyss is declared his heir ‘by reason of tailzie’ (racione tallie)]
Pettincref 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 123 [Patrick Wemyss of Pittencrieff enters David Walker (Walcar) as suitor in the sheriff court for his lands of Pittencreiff]
Pittincreif Wemys 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 250 [to distinguish it from Pittencrieff CUP(PNF 4), which was at this time known as PittencrieffSpence (Pyttincreif Spens 1521 Fife Ct. Bk. 227)]
Petincreiff 1526 Dunf. Reg. no. 514
Serjand-land de Pettincreiff 1529 RMS iii no. 760 [in the barony of Inverteill KGH]
Patrik Wemys of Petincreif 1531 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 43
Pitencref 1532 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 59
Patrick Wemys of Petyncrief 1532 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 81
Pittincreiff 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Pittencreiffe 1663 RMS xi no. 406 [‘the lands of Gallorig and Clunie in the barony of Pittencreiffe’]
House of Pittencreiff 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Pittencrief 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pittencrieff 1828 SGF

G pett + G an + G craobh

‘Estate of the tree or trees’ (pett na craoibhe or nan craobh). There is also a Pittencrieff CUP.

The lands of Pittencreiff are associated with those of Gallowridge to the south and those of Clune to the north (CNK, DFL).[148] The name has survived as the name of Pittencreiff Park, where Pittencreiff House still stands, on the western edge of the deep gorge of the Tower Burn.

/ˈpɪtən krif/ or /ˌpɪtənˈkrif/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1