Pitconochie DFL S NT059869 1 394 70m
? Petsconhy 1260 x 1270 Pitfirrane Writs no. 3 [a third part of the lands of Petsconhy held by the Lochore family of the earls of Fife]
(half of the barony of) Petconnochquhy c.1400 Pitfirrane Writs no. 21B [Sir John of Wemys, lord of Reres LAR, to his cousin Philip Haket lord of Balmagall, half the barony of Pitconochie]
(a quarter of the lands of) Pettomothy 1468 RMS ii no. 958 [to John Wemyss (de Wemis) quarter parts of various lands including Tarvit (Tarvate) and Pettomothy; presumably a transcription error for Petcon(n)ochy]
(lands of) Petconnochys 1472 Pitfirrane Writs no. 34
Petconochy 1472 Pitfirrane Writs no. 35
(one ninth of) Petconoquhy 1516 RMS iii no. 119 [Alexander Lindsay to James Biset a ninth of Auchlinsky (Auchlanskie), Glendevon parish PER, and Pitconochie]
Petconnochy 1530 RMS iii no. 953 [to David Wemys various lands including Petconnochy and Wester Tarvit (Wester Tarbet)]
Pitconnochie 1636 Pitfirrane Writs no. 553 [lands of Knockhouse (Knokes) Keystock (Kistock) and Pitconnochie]
Pittranochy 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Pitrannochy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
E Piddinny 1775 Ainslie/Fife [see below]
Pitconnachie 1828 SGF
G pett + pn Donnchadh.
‘Donnchadh (Duncan)’s estate’. The form Donnachac, which seems to underlie the second element of this place-name, occurs also in the Gaelic Notes in the Book of Deer (Donnachac mac Síthig), mid-twelfth century. It is discussed fully by Jackson, who comes to the conclusion that it is a hypocoristic form of Donnchad (1972, 76–7). For initial c for ch as an expression of lenited d, see Taylor 1995, 58–9. For other Fife place-names containing this personal name, see Baldinnie CER, SSL, Kilduncan KBS and Kilconquhar. Compare also the old name for Rosehaugh, Avoch parish ROS, which was Petconachy 1456, and Petquhonochty 1458 (Watson 1904, 132).
If Petsconhy represents Pitconochie, as it probably does, it was the earl of Fife’s land in the thirteenth century (Pitfirrane Writs no. 3).
On both Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/West Fife (1827) Pitconochie appears as Easter Pitdinnie (E Piddinny), associating it with Pitdinnie CNK, DFL c.1.5 kilometres to the west.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1