Lyne Burn

Lyne Burn ~ DFL/TOB W NT058840 1 394 0m

torrentis vocatur vulgariter ly Lyn 1526 Dunf. Reg. no. 514 [of the burn commonly called the Lyne]
The Lyne Burn 1790s OSA, 302 [The Lyne Burn ‘lays the rich fields of Pittencrieff, Loggie, Cavil and Pitliver under water’]

G linn

‘Pool’. It appears on the OS Pathf. as Lyne Burn, but is always referred to locally as The Lyne Burn. It has given rise to such secondary names as Linburn Hospital. Although the name was probably well-established at an early date, in its earliest occurrences it is not named as such, but is simply described in relation to adjacent lands: in a Latin charter of 1227 it is described as the water which runs between the land of Pitliver (Petliuer) and the land of Gellet (Gelland) on one side, and the land of Crombie (Abircrumbin) on the other (Dunf. Reg. no. 213); while in a Latin charter dated 1267 × 1275 it is described as the burn which comes from Garvock and which flows below the Netherton of Dunfermline (Dunf. Reg. no. 316). It is also referred to as the Spittal Burn (torren<s> de le Spittail) in 1520 (Dunf. Recs. {285}). See under Dunfermline and Netherton DFL for more details. In its lower course it forms the march between DFL and TOB.

Near the mouth of the Lyne Burn a modern name (OS Pathf.) Aberlyn has been constructed using a Pictish element!

/lɪn/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1