Ewen de Login 1204 x 1228 Dunf. Reg. no. 145
(Walter of) Login 1225 x 1235 Dunf. Reg. no. 171 [dates approximate]
(Walter of) Login 1231 Dunf. Reg. no. 196
(Michael of) Login 1230 x 1250 Dunf. Reg. no. 199 [dates approximate; next generation after Walter of Logie?]
capella de Logyn 1250 x 1272 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 22 [15th c. copy; ‘ecclesia de Rossive (Rosyth) cum capella de Logyn’ confirmed to Inchcolm Abbey by Richard bishop of Dunkeld]
Logine 1250 x 1272 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 22 [15th c. copy]
terras de Logy 1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 496 [See Notes below]
dominus de Logy 1531 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 41
Logy 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 261
Gilbertus Couston in Logie 1570 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 215
teind shaves of Logy 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 217
teyndis of Logie 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 223 [with Urquhatt deleted after Logie; set or rented to the laird of Dowhill (Dowhill), Cleish KNR, FIF ‘of auld for £6’; from later charters it seems that £6 is for both Logie and Urquhart.]
terris de Logy 1574 Dunf. Reg. p. 477 [charter of the laird of Dowhill (Dowhill) anent the lands of Logie (Logy)]
teinds of Logy 1601 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 225 [to the laird of Dowhill (Dowhill) £3]
Logy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Logie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Loggie 1790s OSA, 302 [see under Lyne Burn DFL]
Logie 1828 SGF
? G lag or ? Pictish or G * log + – in
‘Place of a hollow?’ or ‘place of a church?’. The suggestion that it derives from G lag ‘hollow’ is the received wisdom, being the one assumed by W. J. Watson (1926, 101, 147, 314). However, in a forthcoming article, Thomas Clancy puts forward the proposition that most if not all Logie place-names, many of which are the names of early parishes and are often combined with the names of saints, derive from a loan-word into Pictish or Old Gaelic *log- from Latin locus, ‘a place’, with the meaning ‘a special place, a church’. It may therefore be significant that there was a chapel at Logie, first mentioned in the third quarter of the thirteenth century (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 22). Nevertheless, it has to be said that Logie House lies on a flat piece of land north of the Lyne Burn surrounded by rising ground on three sides.
Logie, along with the neighbouring lands of Urquhart, formed part of the medieval parish of Rosyth, Dunkeld diocese. They were held by the bishops of Dunkeld until they exchanged Logie with the abbot of Dunfermline for lands in Perthshire in the early sixteenth century (see Dunk. Rent. 310). The exchange is recorded in 1506 as follows: James abbot of Dunfermline granted to George bishop of Dunkeld in perpetuity the lands of Fordie (Fordowy) (east of Dunkeld) and Little Keithock (Litil Kethik), as well as an annual rent of 5 merks owed from the said lands of Fordie in exchange for the superiority of the lands of Logy near Dunfermline (Logy prope Dunfermlin) and for an annual rent of 2 merks and for the annual rent of 4 merks from the lands of Newton of Aberdour (Newtoun de Abbirdour) (1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 496).
It occurs on OS Pathf. in Logie Farm and Logie House, which latter supplies the above NGR, as it is the site of Ainslie’s (1775) and SGF’s (1828) Logie.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1