Lethans

Lethans DFL S NT053942 2 255m

aqua de Letheni 1227 Dunf. Reg. no. 213 [or Lethem? Part of the marches of the forest of Outh and the land of Cult SLN; probably refers to the burn that runs through Lethans Glen]
Northe Lethumes 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 426
Suthelethemmis 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 427
North Lethaines 1563 RMS iv no. 1476 [or Lethames?]
S. Lethaines 1563 RMS iv no. 1476 [or Lethames?]
N Lethum 1642 Gordon MS
S Lathum 1642 Gordon MS
South Lethas 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
N Lethum 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
S Lethum 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lethouse 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
South Lettous 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Lethens 1827 Ainslie/West Fife [omitted by mistake from Ainslie/Fife 1775]
North Lethens 1828 SGF
South Lethens 1828 SGF [which OS Pathf. calls West Lethans]
North Lethans 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
South Lethans 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [twice: once where OS Pathf. has West Lethans (NT053942), once where OS Pathf. has South Lethans (NT069941)]

G leathan

‘(Broad) hill-side’. This extensive estate or territory, which occupied a large part of the north-west corner of DFL, was divided into two parts, North and South, by the sixteenth century. OS Pathf. West Lethans was the original South Lethans, while OS Pathf. South Lethans seems to be a creation of the later nineteenth century. North Lethans sits low on the slope of Outh Hill, South Lethans on Knock Hill, and they face each other across the Black Devon burn. It is not clear which of these two hills represents the leathan which gives the land its name. The above NGR is supplied by OS Pathf. West Lethans (older South Lethans). The Sc plural ending which reflects the late medieval division has become part of the name. See also North Lethans, South Lethans and West Lethans.

/ˈlɛθənz/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1