Kingseat DFL S NT125904 1 384 165m WEF

the Kynset 1542 Dunf. Recs. {228} [Edward Elder tenant of the Kynset by Dunfermline; see also {229}]
Kingseat 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Kingseat 1828 SGF

Sc king + Sc seat or Sc set

OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856) shows no houses on the site of the later village of Kingseat, only the farm of Kingseat at the northern edge of the present village NT125906. It also shows the antiquity King’s Seat at NT127904. The OS Name Book (1853), as quoted on the RCAHMS Canmore (NMRS) website, has the following: ‘Tradition states that this was a seat hewn out of a large rock and that it was customary for some of the James [sic] of Scotland to rest here when passing from Falkland to Dunfermline. It is also stated that some of the fragments were to be seen c.1803–13. Through the extension of the Craigencat Quarry the stone in all probability fell and was lost sight of’. There is, however, a local tradition that fragments of this stone are still to be seen in a cottage garden to the north of the village.[117] The name of the now disused quarry Craigencat, which appears as ‘Craigencat Quarry (whinstone)’ on the OS 6 inch 1st edn. map (1856), would seem to derive from G creag a’ chait or creag nan cat ‘rock of the (wild)-cat(s)’, unless it has been transferred from Craigencat in the northern part of DFL. The name ‘Craigencat’ has been preserved in a house-name beside Loch View a few hundred metres to the north-east of the old Craigencat Quarry.

For an explanation of Kingseat within a hunting context, see Kings-Seat DFL.

The farm of Kingseat may be Eldars Bath on Blaeu (Pont) West Fife (1654, surveyed 1590s). In 1542 Edward Elder appears as a tenant of the Kynset (Dunf. Recs. {228}), and Kingseat would have lain at the north-west corner of the extensive lands of Beath. It has probably generated the settlement-name (originally a hill-name) Kingseathill DFL.


This place-name appeared in printed volume 1