Keirsbeath DFL S NT132897 1 150m
(half of) Kerrisbeith 1598 Dunf. Reg. p. 495 [to John Wemys]
Keiris Baith 1603 Dunf. Reg. p. 497 [Charter of Patrick Stewart of half of the lands of Waster Baith commonly called (‘vulgo’) Keiris Baith with the garbal teinds of Keiris Baith]
Keirs B 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Keirsbaith 1646 Henderson 1865, 18
Keirsbaith 1650 Retours (Fife) no. 794 [in parish of Dunfermline; Stewarts of Baith]
Kyers Bath 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Keirs Beth 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Keer Bead 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Kiersbeath 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Keirsbeath 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Keirsbeath 1959 OS 2.5 inch
pn Keir + en Beath
The part of the lands of (Wester) Beath belonging to the Keir family. In the early sixteenth century it was part of Wester Beath, since we have reference to one Thomas Keyr in Wester Baytht in 1534 (Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk., 111), while in 1603 half of Wester Beath is referred to as commonly called Keiris Baith (Dunf. Reg. p. 497). The above-mentioned ‘Thom Keyr in Baitht’ appears as one of the assise of the regality court of Dunfermline in 1535 (Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk., 125). Another part of Wester Beath had been held by the Stewarts since at least the early seventeenth century, and was known as Stewartsbeath or Halbeath DFL (q.v.).
The farm of Keirsbeath has been completely obliterated by opencast mining. The name survives on OS Pathf. 384 in Keirsbeath Ridge, which lies to the north-west of where the farm used to be.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1