Hill

Hill DFL S NT091859 1 60m

? Mylhill 1531 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 54 [‘betwix the landis of Mylhill on the est part ...’]
terrarum de Wyndmilne hill 1555 x 1583 Dunf. Reg. p. 471 [feued to Patrick Murray]
Wyndmilhill 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Windmilhill 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 437
Wyndmilhill 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Windmylnehill 1638 Retours (Fife) no. 572 [to George Bruce of Carnock]
Windmilnhill 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 702 [to Charles Monteith, lands of Windmilnhill and Perdius (Perdew) etc.]
? Millhill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
? Milhill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
House of Hill 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Hill 1771 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. MAP II
Hillhouse 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Hillhouse 1828 SGF

Sc windmill + Sc hill

‘Windmill hill, hill with windmill’. Later shortened to Hill, the name survives on the OS Pathf. map as Hill House (antiquity), which dates to 1623. The remains of the windmill are still visible south of Hill House. William Monteith of Randieford acquired the lands in 1621; they now form part of Broomhall Estate. OS Pathf. shows Hill House. Mil(l)hill on Gordon MS and Blaeu (Gordon) Fife is shown south of the town of Dunfermline, but considerably further north than Hill, so it is uncertain as to whether it represents the name that later became Hill.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1