Headwell DFL S NT096885 1 394 110m
the head well 1671 Dunf. Burgh Recs. (Shearer), 299 [Dunfermline Burgh Council “ressolves (sic) that a house be bult (sic) for the use of the nyghtbors at the head well & the well to be helped & for that effect appoynts a collectione throw the toun ...’]
Headwells 1828 SGF
Headwell 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc heid + Sc wall
‘Head or top well’, referring to the well known as St Margaret’s Well (St Margeretts Well 1642 Gordon MS, S. Margarets-well 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife), and marked as an antiquity on OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856), beside the farm of Headwell. It formed part of the town’s water supply, for details of which see Pitcairn 2000, 171–3.
The above NGR is supplied by the farm of Headwell as shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn. This lies on the north-west edge of the modern suburb of Headwell.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1