Gallowridge

Gallowridge DFL S NT082856 2 60m

Galurig’ 1291 Dunf. Reg. no. 323 [William of Oberville’s lands of Petyncreff and of Galurig’]
Galowrig 1466 RMS ii no. 881 [‘terras de Pettincreif (Pittencreiff DFL), Galowrig et Clune (Clune CNK, DFL)’ confirmed to John Wemys, son and heir of Thomas Wemys of Rires (Reras) KCQ]
(John Anderson of) Galrik 1498 Dunf. Recs. {84}
Galrik 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 86
Gallorig 1538 RMS iii no. 1838
Galrik 1567 RMS iv no. 2083 col. 4
Garlikhill 1639 RMS ix no. 897 col. 2
Garlikhill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Garlickhill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Gallorig 1663 RMS xi no. 406 [‘the lands of Gallorig and Clunie in the barony of Pittencreiffe’]
Gallaridgehill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Gallowridge Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.

Sc gallow + Sc rig

‘Gallow ridge’. The lands of Gallowridge were held along with those of Pittencreiff DFL by the Oberville family in the late thirteenth century (Dunf. Reg. no. 323). It was probably the site of the Obervilles’ gallows, which would have been clearly visible from the old Limekilns Road to the east.

The name survives in Gallowridge Hill, the name of the farm on or near the site of the earlier settlement of Gallowridge, whence the above NGR. It also survives in the nearby hill-name Gallowridge Hill, which is most probably the eponymous rig. OS convention, not followed in this case either on the OS Pathf. or on the OS Explorer, is to write the farm-name as one word, viz Gallowridgehill, and the hill-name as two, viz Gallowridge Hill. The element hill has been incorporated into the settlement-name by the first half of the seventeenth century in Garlikhill (1639) and Garlickhill (1654), with both of these forms showing metathesis of an earlier *Galrikhill.

In 1567 Sir John Angus, almoner of Dunfermline Abbey, feued to the Durie family ‘pratum sui eleemosinariatus inter caudam novi prati vocat. the Calsay ex occidentali, terras de Galrik et Medo-end ex ceteris partibus’ (‘the meadow of his office of almoner[112] between the elbow of the new meadow called ‘the Calsay’ (the causeway i.e. paved road) on the west side, and the lands of Gallowridge and *Meadowend on the other sides’). The feature called the elbow seems to have survived in the name Elbowend Junction NT086859. To the south-west lies Meadowend Belt.

There was another gallows to the north-east of Dunfermline, towards Townhill, at approximately NT090896.[113]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1