Fleming-beath * DFL S NT140890 3
Beeth Fleming 1220 x 1235 Dunf. Reg. no. 177 [rubric]
terr<a> de Beeth 1220 x 1235 Dunf. Reg. no. 177 [all the land of Beeth which had belonged to Alexander de Setoun, and which he confirmed to his sister Emma and her husband Adam de Pollisworth; see next charter]
Beeth Fleming 1230 x 1239 Dunf. Reg. no. 178 [rubric]
Flemisse Beeth 1230 x 1239 Dunf. Reg. no. 178 [Alexander de Setoun gave this land, which his sister Emma had returned to him, to Dunfermline Abbey]
Flemiges Beeth 1230 x 1239 Dunf. Reg. no. 178 [see previous]
apud Flemingbreth 1332 x 1340 NLS MS Adv. 34.1.3 (a), fo 38r [for Flemingbeeth; printed Flemigbrech Dunf. Reg. no. 326; William Fleming the first at Fleming Beath c.1200. For full text, see PNF 5 Appendix 1]
pn Fleming + en Beath
For a general discussion of the place-name Beath, and its tendency to combine with a personal name, see BEA Introduction (PNF 1). Note that all three ways of combining a place-name with a personal name can be observed in the forms of this name.
In the genealogies of the men (probably unfree tenants) of Dunfermline Abbey, written in the second quarter of the fourteenth century, William (the) Fleming is described as being the first at Fleming Beath. From this we know that William Fleming was buried in Dunfermline, and that his son was called Alwin, who had the G nickname cambrun (cam sròn ‘crooked nose’).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1