Dunnygask DFL S NT059928 1 384 235m
Teykyngask’ 1250 x 1300 Dunf. Reg. no. 333
Tunegask 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 427
Tonnegask 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 437
Tunegask 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 439
Tunygask 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Tunnigask 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Tynnigask 1654 Retours (Fife) no. 831
Tunigask 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Finny gask 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5 [scribal error, F for T]
Tinnygask 1828 SGF
Dunny Gask 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G taigh + G an (or G ceann ) + G gasg
‘House of the ridge’ (taigh an gaisg), or perhaps, given the presence of the kyn (G ceann) element in the earliest surviving form, ‘house at the head or end of the ridge’. The latter interpretation of the name describes the site well, at the west end of a 4 km ridge. The earliest reference to it is in a set of boundaries relating to the lands of Balgonar, the kirkland of Saline, and Killernie (Dunf. Reg. no. 333; see SLN Introduction for details). Immediately to the south, OS Explorer Dunnygash Lodge Farm represents the same name (the spelling is an error). The ridge or gasg in question runs from Dunnygask in the west, rises to over 240 m, and is marked at the east end, over 4 km away, by Gask DFL.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1