Crossgates DFL S NT145887 1 394 125m
Crocegaitts 1606 Laing Chrs. no. 1502 [Isobella Chalmer relict of the late Andrew Walwoid of Crossgates]
Corsgatis 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Crossgates 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife [also shows Craiggates to the west, presumably an engraver’s error]
Cors gatts 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Cross gate 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Crossgates 1775 Ainslie/Fife
‘Cross roads’, being where the main road from Dunfermline to Kirkcaldy crossed the Great North Road from Inverkeithing to Perth (see Simpson 1999, 83). The DFL/DGY parish boundary runs along the main road of the village, which is the Great North Road. However, the bulk of the settlement lies on the west (DFL) side of the road.
RHP3800 (1756) shows a large Crossgates Farm in the northern part of the Estate of Fordell. It is separated from Drumcooper (Drum couper) by Fordell Muir Moss, whose centre lies at c.NT153883.
At the southern edge of the settlement, OS 6 inch (1856) shows Crossgates Farm at NT145887. The OS Name Book states that the former names of this farm were Droverhall, and more lately Doverhall (131, 34). This latter form may have been influenced by Doverhall DFL, which lay c.3 km to the south-west.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1