Charlestown DFL S NT065836 1 25m
Charlestown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Charleston 1828 SGF [also Charleston Harbour]
Pn Charles + SSE town
The village of Charlestown was named after Charles 5th earl of Elgin, who had it built c.1756 for the workers in his local lime and coal industries. The eminence on which the village was built had been known as Whalebank (Reid 1903, 69). This name is probably connected with the nearby harbour of *Whalehaven TOB (Whale heaven 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife and lie Quailheavin 1603 RMS vi no. 1402).
An older settlement which must have lain very close to the site of Charlestown was Turnershill, which may contain the personal name Turner (Tournirch 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife, Turnors hill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife, Turnour hill 1646 Henderson 1865, 17, Turnershill 1753 Roy).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1