Broomhall DFL S NT076836 1 394 40m
Broomhall 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Broomhall 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Broomhall 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Earl of Elgin]
Sc broom + Sc hall
It originally formed part of the Dunfermline Abbey lands of Gellet(shire), and was bought by Sir George Bruce of Carnock in the sixteenth century. It seems originally to have been called *Broomhill, a common Sc place-name describing a hill covered in broom, and is first mentioned as Broomhall in the mid-seventeenth century, when Robert Bruce settled there and as a Senator of the College of Justice took the title Lord Broomhall (The Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, pers. comm.). The change from –hill to –hall would have been occasioned by the building of a mansion here, the predecessor of the present one which was begun in 1702 (Gifford 1988, 102). The fact that it did not become the centre of an estate until the mid-seventeenth century probably accounts for the fact that it appears on Gordon’s map of Fife (1654), but not on that based on Pont’s (dating from the 1590s). It is not mentioned in RMS.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1