Blackburn

Blackburn # DFL S NT077885 2 105m

Blakburn 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Blackburn 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Blackburn 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Blackburn 1771 RHP1289
West Blackburn 1771 RHP1289
East Blackburn 1771 RHP1289

Sc black + Sc burn

A settlement, now probably called Parkneuk q.v. It is named after OS Pathf. Baldridge Burn, which was at one time referred to as the Black Burn in this part of its course. In 1568 an acre of land in the Westfeild of Baldrig was bounded on the north by the road called Coilgait (‘coal road’) and on the south by the Blackburn (Pitcairn 2000, 35, quoting from Protocol Book of John Cunyinghame, p. 30). It was called black probably because of the coal measures in this area (Parkneuk was a mining village in the late nineteenth century).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1