Berry Law DFL R NT073878 1 394 125m
Berryknow 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Berrylaw 1828 SGF
Berrylaw 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc berry + Sc law or Sc knowe
‘Hill where berries grow’. A conspicuous hill on the west side of Dunfermline, it was formerly crowned by a circular plantation of trees known locally as Berrylaw Tap (Berrylaw Top). The farm of Berrylaw, early forms of which are given above, is now OS Pathf. Knockhouse Farm. The original Knockhouse (DFL q.v.) was further south by Crossford. The name has survived in the hill-name, as well as in OS Pathf. Berrylaw Quarry.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1