Baldridge

Baldridge DFL S NT078886 2

Baldrik 1522 Dunf. Recs. {207} [the burgh sets (rents) to John Arnot and his heirs 3 acres of ‘the commone muir ... extendand tho (to) thre akyr breid (broad) at the fut of Baldrik dyk newk est’ for 19 years’ tack, the first year free ‘lyand at the west syd of the Lonyng (loan or loaning)’. See also ibid. p. xxviii.]
Ester Bawdrig 1536 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 127 [Patrick Robertson for (‘pro’) Ester Bawdrig]
Eester Bawdrik 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Middle Bawdrick 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Wester Bawdrick 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 425
Hoilbawdrick 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 436
Easter Bauldrig 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Middil Bauldrig 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Wester Bauldrig 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Westfeild of Baldrig 1568 Pitcairn 2000, 35 [quoting from the Protocol Book of John Cunyinghame, p. 30; it was bounded on the north by the road called Coilgait and on the south by the Blackburn]
Mydil Baldrig 1570 x 1580 Dunf. Reg. p. 479 [Mydil Baldrig & Masoun Land]
Hollbaldrick 1642 Gordon MS Fife
W. Baldrik 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Holl Baldrick 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
M. Baldrick 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
W. Baldrick 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Badrich 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Middle Badrick 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
West Badrich 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
E Batherwick 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Wellwood Esquire]
W Batherwick 1775 Ainslie/Fife [C. Mitchell Esquire]
Easter Baldrige 1828 SGF
Wester Baldrige 1828 SGF

Sc bald + Sc rig

‘Bald ridge’, in the sense of a ridge without much vegetation. The lands of Baldridge must have been fairly extensive, since by the end of the medieval period they were divided into at least four separate units (Easter, Wester, Middle and *Holl i.e. hollow or low-lying). Of these only West(er) Baldridge has survived on OS Pathf., while Baldridge Burn, the upper reaches of Tower Burn, has given rise to the OS Pathf. settlement-name Baldridgeburn. Note that this burn seems to be referred to as Baldan bwrn in 1533 Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 87. If so, it is probably a transcription error for Baldrik bwrn or the like. For part of its course it was also known as (the) Black Burn, for which see Blackburn # DFL below.

The above NGR is of OS Pathf. West Baldridge.

Locally /ˈbɔlrɪk/[96]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1