Temple Plantation DGY V NT178842 1 394 55m
Temple Plantation 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This is a small wood plantation shown but not named on Moray/1811, and probably created in the enclosure and reorganisation of the estate in the period immediately preceding 1811. The name will not be earlier than this period. It may take its name from the presence of an Early Bronze Age burial mound in the field immediately to the east (excavated in the nineteenth century and more extensively in 1973, for details of which see Simpson 1999, 7–9). However, the OS Name Book makes a more plausible suggestion (77, 12): ‘A small mixed plantation, situated on the Avenue leading from Dalgety Gardensto Aberdour, having a summer house at the south end which probably suggests the name “temple”’. The foundations of this building are still visible.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1