Mossgreen DGY S NT151859 1 394 140m SOF
Mossgreen 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc or SSE moss + Sc or SSE green
‘A green by or in a moss or (peat) bog’. The name first appears in connection with the new Church of Scotland church established in 1852 in the north of the parish to serve the mining communities of Fordell. See also DGY Introduction. On a Fordell estate plan of 1796 (RHP3818) Fordel Moss is shown where Mossgreen is today, this being the moss which supplies the first element of the name.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1