Leuchat

Leuchat # DGY S NT157828 2

(land of) Louhild 1214 x 1217 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 12 [o.c.; transumpt of 1420 has Lowchald]
Patricium de Louchyldd 1306 x 1317 Dunf. Reg. no. 351 [Robert I presents Patrick of Louchyldd to the kirk of Kinross; this could be either Leuchat DGY or Leuchold WLO; no final abbreviation mark in ms; see also RRS v no. 459]
(lands of) Luchelde 1428 RMS ii no. 115 [granted by king to Sir David Stewart of Rosyth]
(lands of) Luchelde 1513 RMS ii no. 3840
domino de Luchquhald 1521 Fife Ct. Bk. 213 [the late David Kinnear(Kynneire) ‘lord portioner of Strathburn LEU’ (dominus porcionarius de Strobyrne) died vested with feu of a third part of Strathburn in the barony of Rosyth, and his brother Alexander given service of these lands which are held ‘in capite’ from the lord of Leuchat]
(William Spittal of) Luchart 1523 Laing Chrs. no. 343
(William Spittal of) Luquhit 1528 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 54
(at) Luquhat 1528 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 54
Luquhet 1528 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 55
Luquhyt 1534 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 57
Luchat 1545 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 63
Luchatt 1548 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 66
Lwquhat 1569 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 71
Leuchatt 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Leuchell 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Lewchatt 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Leuchat 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Lochartshall 1775 Ainslie/Fife [immediately east of Hillend IKG]
Leuchats Bank 1811 Moray/1811

? G leamh + G coille

‘Elm woods’? G coille ‘wood’ (pl. coilltean, earlier coillti). This derivation is suggested by MacDonald (1941, 8) for Leuchold, Dalmeny parish WLO (Luchqweld 1392; Luchald 1430), which is obviously the same name. Leuchold lies immediately opposite Dalgety on the south side of the Firth of Forth. Given the rarity of this name, and the proximity of these two estates, the Lothian Leuchold may well have been transferred from Leuchat in Fife. This is further reinforced by the tenurial links between the parishes of Dalmeny and Dalgety in the twelfth century, and possibly earlier (for which see Cockairnie DGY above).

The above NGR is of the field called Leuchats Bank on Moray/1811. For more on the exact position of the old house of Leuchat, which in the early eighteenth century is described as ‘within a bowshot’ of Donibristle, see Simpson 1999, 63.

The name survives in Leuchatsbeath BEA, which took its name from the fact that William Spittell of Leuchat held that part of Beath in the sixteenth century. From this secondary survival we can assume that had the primary name Leuchat survived, it would have been pronounced /ˈluxət/ or the like.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1