Drumcooper DGY S NT151876 1 394 115m SOF
Drum couper 1756 RHP3800 [also: The Backside of Drumcouper and The Foreside of Drumcouper]93
Drumcooper 1796 OS Name Book 131, 19 [1853 x 1856; quoted as coming from a 1796 Estate map of Fordell (presumably RHP3818)]
Drumcoupar 1853 x 1856 OS Name Book 131, 19 [variant spelling]
Drumcooper 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
? G druim + en *Cooper or en Cupar
‘Ridge of *Cooper or Cupar’. *Cooper itself, if a local name, may have the same derivation as the better-known Cupar FIF, for which a Pictish word for ‘confluence’ has been proposed (see PNF 4 s.n. for more details). However, since it occurs so late in the record, it might well be a late construction using the en Cupar, or even the Sc and SSE cooper ‘barrel-maker’. If a genuine early *Cooper, then the confluence referred to in the name can only be at Broomieside, consisting of the two burns which later make up the Fordell Burn.
On Ainslie/Fife (1775) it is marked as Fordalmoor. On SGF (1828) ‘Old Offices’ are marked where Drumcooper is today.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1