Woodhead CUS S NS999865 1 393 50m
Wodheid 1587 Culross Chrs. 80 no. 12 [feu-duty of lands called *Woodmill’s Croft (Woudmylnis croft) set in feu to Robert Norwell of Woodhead (Wodheid): 2 bolls of bere]
Woodhead 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Woodhead 1783 Stobie
E. Woodhead 1783 Stobie
Woodhead 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc wood + Sc heid
‘Head or end of the wood’. The wood will have been the *East Wood mentioned (as Est-wod) as the name of the grazings of Valleyfield in 1540 (RMS iii no. 2869), for details of which see CUS Introduction. Stobie’s E. Woodhead is now under the village of High Valleyfield.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1