West Church CUS A NS979865 1 393 50m SOF
West-kirk 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
West-Kirk 1560 x 1565 RMS iv no. 1632
Westkirk 1586 RMS v no. 1043 [in the lordship of Culross and Sheriffdom of Perth]
Chapel in Ruins 1783 Stobie
Culross Church 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [marked as an antiquity]
Church 1901 OS 1 inch 2nd edn. [‘ruin’]
Sc west + Sc kirk
The name was Englished (as West Church) by the Ordnance Survey, although locally it is still referred to as (the) West Kirk. This is the medieval parish kirk of Culross, to which nearby Kirkton belonged. Its ruins and its graveyard are still to be seen, including some late medieval stone-carving. It ceased to have cure of the parish in the sixteenth century when Culross Abbey became the parish kirk.
The earliest occurrence of the name (1540) refers to a settlement, not an ecclesiastical establishment. See CUS Introduction for more details).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1