Dour Burn

Dour Burn ~ ABO/BUI W NT194852 1 394

Abirdour B. 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Dour 1837 Aberdour Map/1837 [marked also is ‘Source of the Dour’]
Dour Burn 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.

en Dour + Sc burn

Dour derives from a Celtic word meaning ‘water’. Since in the settlement-name Aberdour it is combined with the Pictish generic *aber, which was not borrowed into G, the river-name is also likely to be Pictish (*duvr or similar), rather than the related G dobhar (OIr dobur, where the b is pronounced v).

In 1636 at least that part of the Dour Burn which flowed past the lands of Newton (at Hillside) was known as the Newton Burn (the Newtouneburne) (RMS x no. 166).

It is always referred to locally as The Dour Burn. In the early nineteenth century it seems to have been known simply as (the) Dour (see Aberdour Map/1837).

/ðəˈdur bʌrn/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1