Grange

Grange CUS S NS998890 2 35m

Ale ander Hammilton’of the Grang 1494 RPS 1494/11/139 [see Kelly Wood TUL, CUS for details]
Ale ander Hammilton’ of the Grang’ 1494 RPS 1494/11/146 [see Kelly Wood TUL, CUS for details]
Grange Estir et Westir et Myddill 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Eister Grange 1586 RMS v no. 1140 [with a pendicle called the Devilla (lie Devolye)]
Middil-grange 1586 RMS v no. 1134
Eister, Wester et Middill Grangeis 1589 RMS v no. 1675
Eistir Grange 1609 RMS vii no. 9
Middill Grange 1609 RMS vii no. 9
Westir Grange 1609 RMS vii no. 9
(James Aitkine of) Midle Graing 1642 RMS ix no. 1221
Midlegrainge 1656 RMS x no. 486
Easter Grange 1664 RMS xi no. 889
Er Grange 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Middle Grange 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Wr Grange 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
E. Grange 1783 Stobie
Mid Grange 1783 Stobie
W. Grange 1783 Stobie

Sc grange

‘Monastic farm’. Grange was a large estate divided into West(er), Middle and Easter by the mid-sixteenth century. The NGR is of OS Pathf. Mains of Grange.

OS Explorer 367 (2001) shows ‘East Grange’ twice, once in place of OS Pathf. Mains of Grange (NS998890) and once at OS Pathf. East Grange (NT002890).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1