Gagie

Gagie # CUS S NS986866 2 85m

Gagy 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Nether Gaghie 1586 RMS v no. 984
Nethir Gaghie 1586 RMS v no. 1043
Ovir Gaghie 1586 RMS v no. 1043 [in the lordship of Culross and Sheriffdom of Perth]
Gageis 1574 x 1586 RMS v no. 1109
Over Gagie 1587 Culross Chrs. 79 no. 4
Nether Gagy 1587 Culross Chrs. 80 no. 11
Over Gagie 1587 Culross Chrs. 80 no. 21
Nether Gagie 1587 Culross Chrs. 81 no. 31
Myre of Gagie 1587 Culross Chrs. 86 no. 86
Over Gaghie 1602 RMS vi no. 1280 [Over Gaghie in croftis of Culros]
Ovir Gagie 1632 RMS viii no. 2000
Gegie 1783 Stobie
Gigie Park 1795 x 1805 Valleyfield Estate Plan
Gigie Bank 1795 x 1805 Valleyfield Estate Plan

G gàg + ? G – in

‘Place of the cleft or chink’. The same elements occur in Gagie, Murroes parish, north of Dundee ANG, while g?g is the final element in the Minnygaig, the name of the old route over the west Grampians from Atholl to Badenoch (see Watson 1926, 396). Hugh Barron, writing about Kirkhill parish west of Inverness, suggests that it can also mean a gentle slope (1968, 211).

According to Stobie’s map of Perthshire (1783) Gegie lay on the west side and near the summit of the hill called *Bar Hill (for which see CUS Introduction), about 500 m north-north-west of Culross Abbey. Beveridge states that Gagie is the ‘name of a field in the burgh territory of Culross, on the crest and slope of the hill to the west of Gallows Loan’ (1885, ii, 375–6). However, earlier occurrences with affixes Over and Nether show that Gagie was formerly a substantial holding. On the Valleyfield Estate Plan the two fields Gigie Park and Gigie Bank lie in the north-west corner of the Estate, north-west of Culross Abbey, at NS984867 and NS985865 respectively.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1