Pitlochie SLO S NO1709 1 372
de firmis terrarum de Petlochy 1451 ER v, 468 [‘from rents of lands of Pitlochie, its mains lands, with mill of Bannaty aforesaid’ (terris dominicalibus ejusdem, cum molendino de Bannachtyn supradicto)]
Pethlochy 1452 RMS ii no. 533 [king to Andrew Lundy, lands of Pitlochie and Bannaty SLO]
Petloquhy 1506 Dunk. Rent. 195 [teind meal to Dunkeld]
Petloquhye 1507 Dunk. Rent. 200 [teinds to Dunkeld]
terras de Pitlochie 1557 RMS iv no. 1210 [to Andrew Lundy of Balgonie MAI, with tower and fortalice, and lands of Bannaty with Bannaty Mill SLO, q.v.]
Pitlochy c.1560 s Assumption, 69 [in parish of Strathmiglo (Strameglo); pays 30 bolls meal, preceded by Balcanquhal (Belcanquell) SLO paying 28 bolls meal and followed by Bannaty Mill (Bannate Myll) paying 6 bolls meal]
Petlochy 1595 RMS vi no. 274 [king to Robert Lundy of Balgonie and Margaret Boswell (Bosuell), spouse, lands of Pitlochie and Bannaty, with fortalice, manor, mills, woods and fisheries, of which said Robert’s precedessors had been ‘ancient feudal and native tenants’ (antiqui feudifirmarii et nativi tenentes) continuously since the death of James II (1460)]
Pitlochie 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 129 [Robert Lundy of Balgonie MAI, Pitlochie and Bannaty (Bannachtie)]
Pitlochie 1616 RMS vii no. 1446 [Lundy to Arnot, with Bannaty]
Pitlochie 1624 Retours (Fife) no. 339 [Wm Halyday, Pitlochie and Bannaty]
Pittlochy 1642 Gordon MS Fife [at or near modern Gateside]
N<ether> Pittlochy 1642 Gordon MS Fife [shown above Pittlochy]
Pittlochy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Pitlochy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
N<ether> Pitlochy 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Nether Pitlochy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Upper Pitlochy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitlochie 1788 Sasines no. 1866 [‘Manorplace of Edenshead formerly called Pitlochie’]
N<ethe>r Pitlochie 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Nether Pitlochie]
East Pitlochie 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Upper Pitlochie]
W. Pitlochie 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Westfield of Pitlochie]
Nether Pitlochie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Upper Pitlochie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Westfield of Pitlochie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G pett + G clach + – in
‘Farm at or near a stone (or stones)’. The eponymous stone, G clach, may be some kind of carved monument, rather than an undecorated standing stone, which, in this part of Scotland at least, tends to be referred to by the G element coirthe (see Elements Glossary, PNF 5 under clach and coirthe). Standing stones seem to have abounded in this part of SLO. James Wilkie refers to various (1938, 18). The Rev. Andrew Small, who was utterly, even obsessively, convinced that the battle of Mons Graupius was fought around Gateside, imagined a number of such stones having been erected to mark the places of cremation of Roman soldiers and their Pictish or Caledonian enemies, lamenting the fact that many of them had been demolished (Small 1823, 50–1, 83–4).
The lands of Pitlochie are always associated with those of Bannaty SLO, while Bannaty Mill ground the grain from both.
OS Pathf. has Westfield of Pitlochie, Upper Pitlochie and Nether Pitlochie (both at the above kilometre-square NGR). OS Explorer (2001) has Pitlochie for OS Pathf. Nether Pitlochie.
There were two other places of this name in Fife: Pitlochie KGL (PNF 1) and Pitlochie # CLS (q.v. above), with which Pitlochie SLO is frequently confused.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4