Pitgorno SLO S NO192102 1 361 80m
Petgornoc 1242 x 1244 Balm. Lib. no. 10 [see SLO Intro., Earls and Monks]
Petgornoch 1243 x 1254 Balm. Lib. no. 58 [Pitgorno and Drumdreel SLO]
(mill of) Petgornoch 1331 Balm. Lib. no. 52 [Friarsmill SLO]
Petgorno 1506 Dunk. Rent. 195 [teind meal to Dunkeld Cathedral]
villa et baronia de Petgorno 1507 RMS ii no. 3081
Petgorno<c>h 1511 Dunk. Rent. 219 [printed Petgornoth; teinds]
24 acras terrarum ville de Pitgorno 1529 RMS iii no. 760 [‘24 acres of the lands of the toun of Pitgorno contiguous with the west end of the town of Strathmiglo’ (contiguas cum occidentali fine ville de Strethmeglo)]
24 acras terrarum ville de Pitgorno 1548 RMS iv no. 200 [as in 1529 entry] Pitgornow c.1560s Assumption, 69
Pitgorno 1579 Retours (Fife) no. 1456 [James Scott of Balwearie]
terras et baroniam de Pitgorno 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [see discussion]
Pitgornow 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 129 [Drumdreel in barony of Pitgorno]
Pitgornow 1606 Retours (Fife) no. 173 [Craigfod # SLO in barony of]
Pittgorno 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Pitgorn 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Pitgorma 1654 Retours (Fife) ii no. 1591
Pitgormow 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1040
Pitgorno 1828 SGF
Pitgorno Hill 1828 SGF [a settlement on OS Pathf. Kincraigie Law]
Pitgorno 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Pitgorno Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [a settlement at NO189108]
G pett + G * gronn or Pictish * gronn + G – ach or Pictish suffix *– ōc
‘Farm of the boggy place’, or ‘boggy farm’. From the early forms it is unclear whether this name originally ended in –c or –ch. In theory the whole name could have been taken over as an existing Pictish name by Gaelic-speakers.
Pitgorno stands on the north-western edge of an area of land lying between the 80 m and 85 m contours, a likely candidate for the eponymous bog at a time before modern drainage systems.
The mill of Pitgorno, mentioned in 1331 (Balm. Lib. no. 52), later became known as Friarsmill (q.v. above). It lay on the south bank of the Barroway Burn 1.5 km north-east of the present farm-steading of Pitgorno (NGR NO207216).
In 1331 John of Denmuir granted to the monks of Balmerino ‘the whole stream which flows through my land of Dumbarrow ANY’ (totam aquam que currit per terram meam de Dunberauch). The monks were granted the right to dig and channel this river from Dunbarrow to their mill at Pitgorno (Friarsmill SLO) as seemed best to them, and to dig up clods of earth along that watercourse to repair it whenever necessary (Balm. Lib. no. 52). This was a substantial work: the burn is some 2.5 km in length from the lands of Dunbarrow to the said mill.
In 1603 the lands and barony of Pitgorno are listed as part of the barony of Balmerino on the death of John Kinnear, now being granted to James Elphinstone (RMS vi no. 1411). They are as follows (all names in SLO unless otherwise indicated): the lands and barony of Pitgorno, viz the toun and lands of Pitgorno and the Friarsmill with mill-lands etc., the lands of Craigfodd, the lands of Drumdreel, Kincraigie, Stedmore Land, Aberargie (Abirargye) ANY, Pitgrunzie (now Greenside) ANY, Lochmill NBH, acres of Strathmiglo, the lands of Colzie ANY, Johnston DBG, Gadvan DBG, Carpow ANY, Gaston # CRA, Corbie BMO, the wood and fishing of Barnden # BMO, with grain-mill, gardens (hortis), mill-lands etc. and with mills etc.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4