Kellock Law # SLO R NO218105 1 60m
terram templariam in Stramiglo vocatam Kelloklaw 1642 RMS ix no. 1194 [to John Seaton, feuar of Lathrisk (Lathreis) KTT, various lands including ‘temple land in Strathmiglo called Kellock Law’]
Kellochlaw 1783 Sasines no. 703 [‘Robert Skene of Hallyards in part of Kellochlaw’]
Kellock Law 1832 Miller map/1832 [‘or Temple Lands’; 8 acres]
? en or pn Kellock + Sc law
Kellock may derive from Pictish *celli- or G coille ‘woodland’, with the diminutive suffix –oc. Alternatively it may represent the personal name Kellock, found in the Falkland place-name Epi Kellocks; and recorded in Rosyth in 1550 (Robert Kellok RMS iv no. 463), and elsewhere in Fife (see Black 1946 s.n.). In Strathkinness SSL there is Kellock Lane (formerly Loan) and Kellock House (see PNF 3 s.n.).
On Miller/map (1832) ‘Kellock Law or Temple Lands’ is shown as a block of land of eight acres bounded by the ‘Old Road to Auchtermuchty’ on the south and the Barroway Burn (Barraway Burn) on the north, and paying feu duty to Mr Maidmont, who is described in the text of the map as ‘the superior of the Templelands in Scotland’. The same map also shows two contiguous feus called collectively Temple Lands in the village of Strathmiglo itself, on the south side of the High Street, between Park Close (a name probably derived from Back Close on Miller/map) and West Road (New Inn Wynd on Miller/map). These are no doubt the ‘two templelands in the town of Strathmiglo’ listed amongst the lands held by Scott of Balwearie 1531 × 1532 Dunf. Reg. no. 516 (see under Strathmiglo, early forms). When the Knights Templars were abolished in 1312 their lands were taken over by the Knights Hospitallers of St John (Knights of St John, xxv–vi). This led to the frequent association of St John with temple lands, and explains St John’s Well shown on Miller/map at the north-west corner of the Kellock Law temple lands (no longer discernible, at NO217106). Also, in the text on Miller/map, under the heading ‘Templeland’, he writes: ‘the eastmost feuar [of the Temple Lands on the High Street] is still held, by his title, to keep up the “Cross of St John on the most conspicuous part of the tenement as the distinguishing mark between Templelands and Burgage property” upon pain of forfeiture of the feu’. These lands, he states, lie within the Barony of Drem ELO, and, as with Kellock Law, pay a nominal feu duty to Maidmont.
The above NGR is supplied by Miller/map (1832).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4