Court Knowe SLO A NO204102 1 362 75m
the Court Know 1823 Small 1823, 61 [‘there is an eminence which still retains the name of the Court Know, from the circumstance of the peace being concluded there, according to tradition, which behoved to be betwixt the King of Pictland ... and Agricola the Roman general’]
Court Knowe 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc or SSE court + Sc or SSE knowe
In 1933 RCAHMS Fife reported that this was ‘clearly a mote hill, the site of a castle preceding the adjacent tower’ (RCAHMS Fife 505), but a report by a later visitor from the Royal Commission stated, ‘Contrary to RCAHMS (1933), this mound appears to be natural and there is no evidence to suggest a motte. It is similar to a number of moraine mounds which exist in the vicinity. The bank, midway down the south and southeast sides, appears to be the remains of an old field or plantation wall. The name ‘Court Knowe’ suggests a seat of judgement rather than a motte’ (NMRS NO21SW 7). Whether there was a construction on the site or not, neither the term ‘mote hill’ (1933) nor the name Court Knowe suggest anything more than the use of the hill for a court. ‘Mote’ in the 1933 report is ‘moot, court’ (Sc mute), not to be confused with ‘motte’.
If this was indeed the site of a court, it will have been where the bailie of the abbot of Balmerino exercised his civil and criminal jurisdiction over the abbey’s lands of Drumdreel and Pitgorno SLO, as Campbell has suggested (1899, 221).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4