Lochmill

Lochmill NBH ABE S NO227163 1 362 165m

    Lochmyll 1513 RSS i no. 2501 [‘the thryd of Estir Colsy and Lochmyll’, barony of Ballinbreich]
    (lands and mill of) Lochmylne 1596 Campbell 1899, 621
    Lochmylne 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [in barony of Pitgorno SLO, q.v.]
    Lochmylne 1614 RMS vii no. 1115 col. 3 [in barony of Pitgorno]
    Lochmylne 1643 RMS ix no. 1426 [‘lands of Lochmill, with mill, *Millcraigs and their loch, with tenants etc. (between Wester Lumbennie NBH and Clunie ANY), with astrict multures of the touns and lands of Nether and Over Pitgrunzie ANY and of Easter Colzie, in barony of Abernethy’ (terris de Lochmylne cum molendino, Milnecraiges et lacu earundem, cum tenentibus etc. inter Wester Lumbenny et Cluny, cum astrictis multuris villarum et terrarum de Nethir et Over Pitgrugnies ac tertie partis de Eister Colsie, in baronia de Abernethie)]
    Lochmylne 1647 RMS ix no. 1843 [to Alexander Balfour of Pitmedden ANY; the lands of Lochmill, with mill and mill-lands, the lands called *Mill Craigs (Mylnecraigs) and their loch, lying between Wester Lumbennie and Clunie ANY, with astrict multures of the lands and touns of Nether and Over Pitgrunzie (Nather et Over Pitgrugnies) ANY and a third of Easter Colzie]
    Lochmill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Lochmilne 1675 Retours (Fife) no. 1143 [the lands of Lochmill and the lands of Mill Crag (Milnecraigs)]
    Loch mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Lochmill 1828 SGF
    Loch Miln 1850 Knox/Tay Basin
    Lochmill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    Lochmill Loch 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    Lochmill Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc loch + Sc miln

‘Mill on or near a loch’. The same mill gave its name to Mill Crag # NBH, which is first mentioned already in 1457 (see s.n., below). The eponymous mill (at the above NGR) was driven by the water of the Bow Burn, which flows out of Lochmill Loch (see Bow Burn in Section 1, above). In its earliest occurrences Lochmill appears as part of the lands of the defunct monastery of Balmerino.

    OS Pathf. shows Lochmill, Lochmill Hill and Lochmill Loch.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4