Castlehill # CUS S NS97858 2
? Casteltoune 1217 RRS v no. 141
Castelhill 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
terras de Castelhill 1543 x 1586 RMS v no. 1106 [abbey lands defined as lying between the land of the West Kirk, the lands of Henry Primrose (Prymrois) and Thomas Haw, mair, lie Pattis-poffillis, lie Bradeismedo, Langside (Langsyd), Waas (Wallis) and Ashes (Eschis) in the lordship of Culross]
Castelhill 1589 RMS v no. 1675 [to James Colvill]
Castelhill 1601 RMS vi no. 1133 [James Blaw of Castelhill]
Castelhill 1643 RMS ix no. 1428
Castellhill 1698 Retours (Perth) no. 1031
Castlehill 1730 Cooper (Adair)
Castlehill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Castle hill 1783 Stobie
Castlehill 1790s OSA (Perth) 104 [‘Castlehill, antiently called Dunimarle Castle’]
Castlehill 1821 Ainslie/S. Scotland
Sc castle + Sc hill
The castle in question does not survive, nor does the name on modern maps, and the site is now marked as Dunimarle Castle q.v.. This is a nineteenth-century redevelopment of an eighteenth century building, though built on the site of an ‘ancient castle’ (Pride 1990, 24–5). Presumably more substantial remains of the ancient castle were visible in the late eighteenth century when it was noted that ‘the castle is in ruins’ (OSA Perth, 104), but remains of early structures can still be made out on and below the steep, motte-like hill, now largely covered by Victorian pseudo-medieval fortification.
From the 1543 definition of the lands of Castlehill which belonged to Culross Abbey, it would seem that they were not contiguous to Castlehill itself (RMS v no. 1106). According to Douglas, Casteltoune was the old name for Dunimarle (Culross Chrs. 70, footnote 5). However, OSA states that it was Castlehill (Perth, 104). They may both be right, of course, since more than one generic may be applied to the same place, especially if the place is being discussed under two different aspects, for example its physical features (Castlehill) and its obligation to pay rent (Castletoun).
This Castlehill is not named on modern maps, but there is another place of the same name in the north of the parish, referring to a prehistoric earthwork, q.v.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1