Cuttlehill

Cuttlehill ABO RS NT192853 1 20m

Cuthilhill 1559 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 213
the Cuithillhill 1573 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 222
the Cutilhill 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218
Cuthilhill 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 219
(lands of) Cuttillhill 1577 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 216
Cuth hill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Cuthill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Cuthilhill 1647 RMS xi no. 271
Cuthelhill 1647 RMS xi no. 271 [one of the marches of a tenement of land in the burgh of Aberdour Wester]
Caithill 1652 RMS xi no. 30
Cuthilhill 1693 Retours (Fife) no. 1599
Cuttlehill c.1750 RHP1022
Cuttlehill 1872 Sasines no. 1544 [lands of Cuttlehill and Seaside]

Sc couthal + Sc hill

‘Hill of the local, open-air court’. Sc couthal is borrowed from G comhdhail ‘assembly, meeting’, for more details of which see Barrow 1981. There are two Cuttlehills in ABO. Barrow (1981, 15 no. 1.23, 20 no. 2.26) assumes they are unconnected. He notes (ibid. 10) that each couthal probably served an area roughly the size of a medieval parish, and that in fact with one exception no parish has more than one couthal-name. ABO is that exception, and he can offer no satisfactory explanation for this. In fact only one Cuttlehill in ABO is of medieval origin, the other, in the north of the parish (NT156894), being an eighteenth-century transplant. The original Cuttlehill is usually associated with the lands of Seaside ABO (as well as with the now lost Cakinch), and is where the obelisk now stands, overlooking Seaside Place, and not far from the harbour. Aberdour House, which lies immediately to the north, is also known as Cuttlehill House. For its possession by Inchcolm Abbey, see Seaside ABO below.

The other Cuttlehill is a large house in the very north of the parish, 5.5 km to the north-west, and it is this one that is marked on all OS maps. This was originally part of Bucklyvie, and it did not acquire the name of Cuttlehill until the eighteenth century. The change of name came about as follows: by the end of the seventeenth century (the original) Cuttlehill and Bucklyvie, both formerly Inchcolm Abbey lands, belonged to the Wemyss family. By 1725 the Wemyss family had sold all of Cuttlehill to the earls of Morton. However, they retained Bucklyvie, and it was after this that the name ‘Cuttlehill’ was brought to the north of the parish. The first occurrence of Cuttlehill for Bucklyvie is in 1796 on RHP3818, in the form ‘Lands of Cootle Hill’. It appears two years later on RHP1267, which refers to Cuttlehill House. This same house appears only a few years earlier in 1775 on Ainslie/Fife as Bucklivie. It is Cuttlehill on SGF (1828).

/ˈkʌtəl hɪl/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1