Pitlug MML S NO350163 1 85m
(Adam of) Petycla<u>k 1296 Inst. Pub. 145 [printed Petyclank]
Petynglug c.1350 SAUL MS 37490 no. 3 [‘the whole land of Kilmaron CUP and Pitlug’; see Kilmaron CUP, discussion, for more details]
terram de Petynglug c.1350 SAUL MS 37490 no. 3 [‘to the ditch between the land of Pitlug and Moonzie’; see Kilmaron CUP, discussion, for more details]
Pittinluck’ c.1500 SAUL MS 37490 no. 3 [endorsement, describing Pitlug as being in Kilmaron (Kylmaron) CUP]
Pettinluig 1513 NAS C2/19 no. 7 [printed Pettinling RMS ii no. 3873; John Seton of Lathrisk and Janet Auchmuty (Admolty), spouse, Kilmaron and Pitlug]
villa de Petlug 1538 St A. Rent. 4 [in parish of Monimail (Monymeile)]
Pitlugg 1783 Sasines no. 651 [Kilmaron and Pitlug, barony of Collairnie DBG]
Pitlug 1809 Sasines no. 8529 [7 twelfths of the lands and estate of Kilmaron and Pitlug in CUP and MML]
G pett + G an + G clag
‘Farm of the bell’, *pett a’ chluig (G clag, older clog m., gen. sing. cluig); for a brief discussion of this name in the context of the Gaelic-speaking Church, see Barrow 1989, 77. Although long associated with the lands of Kilmaron CUP (at least since the first half of the fourteenth century), Pitlug lies in the neighbouring parish of Monimail. It is unusual for such closely associated lands to lie in separate parishes, and it suggests that an earlier unit was broken up when the parishes were created, or at least consolidated, probably in the twelfth century. That this earlier unit was of ecclesiastical origin is strongly suggested by the place-names: Kilmaron, ‘the church of (saint) Ròn’; and Pitlug ‘farm of the (saint’s) bell’; the revenue from this estate would have gone chiefly for the maintenance and management of this important holy relic.
We can reconstruct the lands of Pitlug by looking at the present-day marches of the Kilmaron estate. If the lands of Balgarvie MML, acquired by Kilmaron in the late nineteenth century, are removed, Pitlug is that part of the Kilmaron estate which lies in MML i.e. to the west of the Cupar-Parbroath road, with a central point around NGR NO350163. Its extent is most clearly shown on a mid-nineteenth-century estate plan in possession of Sir James Morrison-Low of Kilmaron. There are no traces of dwelling-houses on the lands of Pitlug, nor were there any on the above-mentioned estate plan.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4