Pathcondie

Pathcondie MML S NO292144 1 362 100m SOF

    Petcunty 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
    Petcunty 1539 St A. Rent. 56
    Pitcunte 1540 Fraser, Melville iii no. 77 [see Muirfield CLS/MML]
    Pitcunte 1540 Fraser, Melville iii no. 79 [see Muirfield CLS/MML]
    Petcunte 1542 St A. Rent. 134 [with Muirfield CLS/MML]
    Petcunty 1553 RMS iii no. 771 [to Christine Fernie (Farny) the lands of Woodmill (Wodmylne) ABE, etc. with common grazing on the commons between Pathcondie and Lindores (Lundoris) ABE]
    Petcuntlie 1562 Assumption, 2 [with *Muirhall MML, for which see Muirfield CLS/MML; rental of the archbishopric of St Andrews]
    Petcuntly 1562 Assumption, 5 [Pathcondie and *Muirhall]
    Pitkeanduy 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B
    Petcunitie 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [in lordship of Monimail]
    Petconte 1616 x 1627 RMS viii no. 1134 [Robert Melville and Jean Hamilton his wife, the lands and barony of Monimail, ‘with common right within the commonty of Pathcondie and Letham MML’ (cum communia intra communitatem de Petconte et Letham)]
    Pitcontie 1636 Retours (Fife) no. 534
    terris de Pitcuntie 1648 Retours (Fife) no. 754 [George Melville of Monimail]
    Pitkenduy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [not Gordon MS or Blaeu (Gordon)]
    Pethcondie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Pathcondie 1828 SGF
    Pathcondie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G pett + ? + ? – atu/–etu + ? – in or + en *Condie

‘Farm of a place of dogs, farm associated with dogs’; or ‘farm on the *Condie Burn’? The specific element may contain G con- (nom. ) ‘dog’, with the same or similar suffixes or extensions as are found in the name Auchtermuchty (q.v., above), and perhaps Casconity # CER (PNF 2), another possible con- ‘dog’-name (q.v.). If so, it is likely to be a reference to a place specialising in the rearing of hunting-dogs. However, the specific (second) element, with its early extensions, could originally have been a burn-name, following a recognised pattern of hydronyms (names of water-courses) containing the names of animals (see Daftmill CLS, above, and Watson 1926, 441–2). If a hydronym, then it is unlikely to be the earlier name of the burn on Pathcondie’s eastern march, which goes on to flow past Monimail old kirk and tower, becoming the Ballantagar Burn, then the Rankeilour Burn, since this was formerly called the Daft Burn (see Daftmill CLS). This leaves only the very small water-course on Pathcondie’s western march, today little more than a drainage ditch. These considerations militate against it being the name of a burn.

    The name has probably been influenced by Path of Condie,[336] well-known as an old route-way through the Ochils north-west of Milnathort KNR. The process may have been as follows: the second element was the first to be assimilated, from an expected -contie or -cuntie to -condie. Once this had happened, it was a short step to the assimilation of the first element Pit- to Path-.

/paθˈkɔndɪ/ or /pəθˈkɔndɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4