Fernie Myres # MML S NO319142 1 45m
lie Myre de Farneis 1540 RMS iii no. 2136 [see MML Intro., Minor Names]
marresiam de Fernys 1540 RMS iii no. 2167 [see Over Rankeilour MML]
marresiam de Farneis 1541 RMS iii no. 2462 [‘and its grass-land’ (et lie swarde-yird ejusdem); see discussion, below]
marresiis de Fairnyis 1580 x 1590 RMS v no. 1788 [part of the lands and barony of Wester Fernie, granted to William Fernie of Foxton]
lie Myir de Fairnyis 1580 x 1590 RMS v no. 1788 [et lie swaird eird ejusdem]
maresia de Fairney 1664 Retours (Fife) no. 975 [et Swardyerd ejusdem]
Fairnie Myre 1667 NAS C3/9 no.142 [see Bachliden # CUP, above]
maresiis lie Myres de Fairnies 1678 Retours (Fife) no. 1165 [‘the mires (called) Fernie Myres’, and their sward (Suaird)]
Fernie Myres 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Fernie + Sc mire
The mire in question is an area of more than a square kilometre of low-lying land (under 45 m contour) which was once very boggy before it was drained. Indeed the western part of the bog is yet undrained, and is marked as bog on OS Explorer (2001). This seems to be the area called Lethem Mire in the 1790s (OSA, 651). The eastern part of it drained into the Lady Burn which flows out of this area towards Cupar.
The marches of Fernie Myres are described in some detail in a charter of 1541, the manuscript version of RMS iii no. 2462, but not included in the printed version: ‘all and haill Fernie Myres and its grassland, between the bridge called *Scotswifesbrig on the north, the lands of Wester Fernie on the west, the lands of Wester Fernie and Easter Fernie on the north, and the lands of Carslogie and Over Rankeilour on the south’ (NAS C2/28 no. 403).
The above NGR is for the building shown as Fernie Myres on the 1855 map.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4