Burrowine CUS S NS975896 1 393 55m
Burwen 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Burvane 1586 RMS v no. 1111
(lands of) Burwen 1587 Culross Chrs. 80 no. 17 [with half the lands of Whitehills (Quhitehilis), to William Aitkin]
Burvane 1589 RMS v no. 1675 [Burrowine and Blinkeerie (Burvane et Blairkenny)]
Burvane 1609 RMS vii no. 9
Burwan 1644 Retours (Perth) no. 542
Burrouin 1730 Cooper (Adair)
Barom 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Burrowane 1783 Stobie
Sc * borwen
‘tumulus, mound’; possibly also referring to more extensive prehistoric remains. The word is better attested in north-west England (as borran ‘cairn’), from OE *burgæsn ‘burial, cairn’. For more details, see Elements Glossary under *borwen.
Beveridge refers to it as ‘the Burrowin’, and sees the name as connected with the camp or barrow of Castle Hill north-west of the farm steading (1885 ii, 369–71).
/ˈbʌrə wain/ and /ˈbʌrwain/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1