Cauld Coats

Cauld Coats # MML S NO288155 1 160m

    Caldcotts 1627 St A. Tests. 31 [MML]
    Cold Cotts 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Cauldcotes 1823 Small 1823, 229–30
    Cold Cotts 1828 SGF
    Cauld Coats 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc cauld + Sc cot

‘Cold cottar houses or cottages’. The settlement’s altitude and exposed position adequately explains the name. It lies on the east side of a hill-road shown on Ainslie/Fife (1775) running north-west from Monimail to Lindores.

    It is probably the ‘farm ... called Cauldcotes’ mentioned in the salacious story told by Rev. Andrew Small about the ‘wicked’ Earl Andrew, laird of Ballinbreich, a young woman who lived at Cauldcotes, the jus primae noctis, the calf and the butter (1823, 228–30; retold in Simpkins 1912 [1975]).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4