Carslogie MML S NO350143 1 362 50m NOF
(land of) Clesclogie 1335 x 1345 NLS Adv. MS 34.6.24 p. 109 [18th c. copy; to John Clephane (de Clephan), with land of Uthrogle MML]
Geo. Clapane de Caslogy 1478 RMS ii no. 1414 [w. ‘George Clephane of’]
Claslogy 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 73
Claslogy 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 96
(John Clephane of) Kerslogye 1520 Fife Ct. Bk. 182
Kerslogy 1520 Fife Ct. Bk. 204
Kerslogy 1521 Fife Ct. Bk. 210
Carslogy 1538 St A. Rent. 7 [in parish of Monimail (Monymeill)]
(George Clephane of) Kerslogy 1538 RMS iii no. 1845
lie Hiltoun de Kerslogy 1538 RMS iii no. 1845 [£10 of land]
Carslogy 1540 RMS iii no. 2136
Clarslogie 1561 Retours (Fife) no. 48 [George Clephane of Carslogie]
terras dominicales de Carslogie 1581 x 1582 RMS v no. 420 [‘mains lands of Carslogie with their fortalice, except for lands of Hilton of Carslogie’ (cum earum fortalicio, terris de Hiltoun de C<arslogie> exceptis)]
terras de Carslogie 1581 x 1582 RMS v no. 420 [‘the lands of Carslogie, Hilton of the same, with fortalice’ (Hiltoun ejusdem, cum fortalicio)]
(George Clephane of) Claslogie 1581 x 1582 RMS v no. 421
apud Claslogie 1581 x 1582 RMS v no. 421
Carslogy 1587 Assumption, 14 [one of lands paying teinds to kirk of Cupar]
silver dewtie of Carsloggie 1621 Fraser, Melville iii no. 119
Koorslogy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Carsluggy 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown in CUP, ‘Claphan Esq.’]
barony of Carslogie 1781 Sasines no. 61 [parts of barony of Carslogie: viz March of Carslogie (CUP or MML); Muirbrecks # or Gilliesfaulds CUP, and Arnot’s Comb CUP; repeated 1795 Sasines nos. 4324, 4325]
Carselogie 1828 SGF [buildings on both sides of CUP/MML boundary]
Carslogie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [refers to a farm on MML side of boundary; also shows ‘ruin Carslogie House’ in Gothic script in CUP]
G clais + ? G lag + – in or + ? en *Logie
?‘(Place at) the ditch or depression of the hollow’, with the final syllable representing the regular reduction of the locational ending –in ‘place of, place at’. Alternatively the second element may be a now lost place-name *Logie, and the whole name would then be interpreted as ‘the ditch or hollow of *Logie’. This cannot, however, be a reference to the place and parish of Logie LOG, earlier *Logiemurdoch, which lies about 7 km to the north-east, too far away to supply the element in Carslogie.
G clais ‘ditch, hollow’ is found in the name Cleish , where it seems to refer to the site of the parish kirk at the foot of the steep slopes of the Cleish Hills. For other examples, including one in which clais probably refers to a dug ditch, see Elements Glossary, s.v. (PNF 5), and KMB Intro. (PNF 2). Clais and lag can therefore be very close in meaning, so if we are dealing with two strata of name formation, then older *Logie may refer to the same feature as clais.
Carslogie does not lie in any very obvious depression in the landscape, though it does nestle quite low down below the hill on which Hilton of Carslogie now stands. Also, about 250 m east of Carslogie House is a clearly defined dip in the north-facing slope, possibly the old course of a small burn. There is another similar dip about the same distance to the south-west, with a small burn which still runs there, north-east from Remilton, but which disappears before reaching Carslogie, presumably due to underground conduiting. Perhaps the best candidate for the eponymous clais (or alternatively for the eponymous lag, if that is indeed the second element) is the relatively extensive flat land on either side of the Lady Burn, north of Carslogie and Horselaw, all below the 35 m contour.
As discussed more fully under Logie LOG, it is likely that an ecclesiastical element deriving ultimately from Latin locus ‘place’, underlies some, at least, of the Logie-names in Scotland, and has later been re-interpreted as G lag ‘hollow’. If this is the case here, then the eponymous *loc may have been at Kilmaron CUP (q.v., above), which lies to the north-east of the flat lands around the Lady Burn, mentioned in the previous paragraph.
The first element is starting to be assimilated to Sc kerse or carse ‘low lying land by water, low land liable to flooding’ etc. by the early sixteenth century.
Carslogie House (now a ruin) is just over the parish boundary in CUP, though Carslogie is listed in St A. Rent. 7 (1538) as being in the parish of Monimail. The modern farm of Carslogie, however, lies about 150 m to the west of Carslogie House, in MML, as is Hilton of Carslogie. For more on what seems to be a relatively unstable parish boundary here, see MML Intro., above.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4